Tuesday, December 22, 2009

I Really Lucked Out With This James Guy...

Not only is he smart, fun, and handsome, but he's also really really handy. The guy can build, fix, or otherwise construct anything. And he built me my very own craftsman columns. Rewind to this past summer...
me-"James, I think our house would look good with some craftsman inspired columns, you know, brick base, tapered column, wide trim...)
James-"Do you have a picture?"
me- (15 min later)"Here's a 'detailed, drawn to scale' picture of the front of our house, with my envisioned columns."
James-"Okay, I can figure this out..."

And he did. They look awesome, okay more than awesome. Every time I see them I get a little giddy and have to do a little happy dance. Seriously, the guy built me columns, with only a couple of you tube videos and a can do attitude, and I'm completely in love with them (and James too of course).

Here are some pics of my little cookie cutter ranch turned craftsman cottage...


Here's James expertly laying brick...




Putting up the tapered column...

Three coats of primer and paint later...







...a much more charming and inviting porch!

So there it is, and I couldn't be happier, and it's not just that they look awesome, or that James spent his free time working diligently on them, or that he spent 8+ hrs, for several days in the bitter cold, or even that he got up at the crack of dawn to finish them in time for Christmas, but that he believed in my vision for that little front porch and made it happen, because he loves me and my ideas (as random as they may be!) Thank you James!

And just for fun, here's a pic of our house before we moved in (I guess you could call it a before shot)


And the 'now more distinctly ours' after...

4 comments:

Mariah said...

I love it!! He is very handy!!

Stephanie said...

Beautiful! I can't wait to see them in person :) Good job, James!

Jenae said...

Everytime we drive/walk by your house I am even more impressed! You two are a great team...you're the visionary and James brings your vision to life! Hope you guys had a merry Christmas!

Unknown said...

Awesome columns and a great job...I am sure there is no better carpenter.....wow! I like it!!!
hugs,
Beverly North